Friday, October 3, 2008

FIERCE REDUX: JEAN PAUL GAULTIER SS09

For the past few seasons I haven't really been too excited about Jean Paul Gaultier's ready to wear collections, but his Spring/Summer 2009 was a great surprise: a joyous collection celebrating the spirit and movement of dance.

All of his signatures are present: fluid jersey skirts and bodysuits--my favorite being a reinterpretation of his classic "cage," in a maillot worn with a long pareo-style skirt; his beautiful suiting, including a few pieces in leather, his usual take on the Le Smoking and an incredible jacket and trousers in wool with fine pinstripes of sheer mesh inset. Another thing I adored were the high waisted suspender pants worn with demi-sheer wrap blouses.

The collection itself wasn't really well received by the press, but I think it's absolutely beautiful and a welcome return to form. It's not as in-your-face as his work in the late 80s/early 90s, but it has the same spirit that makes me love Jean Paul Gaultier.

Of course, not only were the clothes beautiful but the shoes, as usual, are to die for... And I'd kill for the black metal mesh messenger bag. Hopefully it'll be under $1,000... I can dream, can't I?


all photos--vogue.fr,style.com

1 comment:

JJ said...

the cage is TDF.... but I'm really swooning over the BAGS. how overpriced are they gonna be on Elux? also, WHY U SO FIERS GERL?